By following these tips, you can help make the most of your child's trip to the eye doctor.
1. Find an eye doctor who is good with children - such as the doctors at Gaddie Eye Centers
2. Schedule the appointment when your child is not likely to be sleepy or hungry. If your child has a "cranky" time of day, schedule around it.
3. Make a list of your questions and bring it with you. Take notes when speaking to the doctor, so that you can refer to them later.
4. Have a plan ready in case you need to spend time in the waiting room. Bring a favorite storybook, coloring book or small toy that your child can play with quietly. A snack can also help to pass the time.
5. Let your child watch a family member get an eye exam. Have the doctor explain what is being done, step by step, and encourage the child to ask questions.
6. Bring your child's favorite cuddly toy. The doctor can "examine" the bear or doll and holding a toy may keep little hands occupied.
7. Relax. Children look to adults for cues: if you seem nervous, your child may become anxious. A trip to the eye doctor should be fun for both of you.
At Gaddie Eye Centers - we love children! Book an appointment for your child today.